Thursday, June 12, 2008

Champ Bailey: In His Own Words


"Well, one thing about being on a bad defense, everybody looks bad," Champ Bailey said. "No matter how great you are, if we don't cover in the secondary, the front four is not going to get sacks, and if they don't get sacks - get pressure - we're not going to get any picks.

"It all goes hand in hand. And we didn't get our hands on enough of any of it [last season].

"I think we were just confused," Bailey said. "We were just so inconsistent. At times, we'd see good stuff, do some good things and all of a sudden, we'd look like the worst team in the NFL. You know you can't win games like that.

"We were so successful before last year. We're kind of going back to that. . . . Things are not as complicated, we know what our responsibilities are and it's really helped us. We can concentrate on execution instead of just thinking about where we're supposed to be.

"So, yeah, I know people pick and choose when to challenge me, but that was true in [2006] and I still had 10 picks, and it was true [in 2005]," Bailey said. "So I try to figure out what the problems were. I can't say I have full responsibility for what happened, but at the same time, I don't like to point fingers at anybody and I need to do what I can to make it better.

"And I know I can do better. I mean, I had three picks [in 2007]; I have to make a lot more plays than that."

"It's special to see [Boss Bailey] every day, to do things together again, all the time, like we've been doing our whole lives until we got to the NFL," Champ Bailey said. "I just feel like it can all be better this year. Last year, we had so much talent - potential - it was definitely frustrating. Nothing we did seemed to pan out for us as far as winning games.

"Hopefully, we change that."


It's a good time to be a Denver Broncos fan, it's not often (if ever) that we get to see two potential first ballot Hall of Famers in Champ Bailey and John Lynch every Sunday during the football season. Just as special may be the renaissance, of the brothers Bailey, we see when Champ lines up once again with his brother Boss this season.

Is it Sunday yet?

thanks: RMN

No comments: